How to relate with an autistic person.

• So what is autism?
    Autism is a lifelong, developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people, and how they experience the world around them. Autistic people are challenged with difficulties like: School, Work, Social Life, An Understanding of Life. Famous people with autism: Mozart, Albert Einstein.

Learn about the behaviors of autistic individuals:

Autistic people tend to display a variety of atypical behaviors. For example, autistic individuals may:
    -Echo things someone else said. This is called 'echolalia'.
    -Talk about a topic for a long period of time, without recognizing when others have lost interest.
    -Speak honestly, and sometimes bluntly.
    -Interject with statements that seem irrelevant to the current discussion, such as pointing out a pretty flower.
    -Not respond to their own names.
    This may effect different types of autism.

Get to know this person's strengths, differences, and challenges:

Every autistic person is different, and so it's important to understand them as a unique person.
    -Difficulty reading tone of voice and body language is typical of autistic people, so they may need extra explanation.
    -Autistic people usually have slightly different body language, including an avoidance of eye contact and repetitive self-soothing behaviors. Recognize your friend's own personal "normal."
    -Autistic people often have sensory issues. They may react differently, or even adversely, to strong odors (such as perfume), unexpected touches, loud noises, or certain textures.

Try to introduce this (autistic) person to your other friends.
    If your autistic friend is looking to make new friends, then they may be interested in group events. No matter how obvious or subtle their autistic traits are in social settings, you might be surprised at how accepting other people are.
    alt text

Finally.
    Respect their free will and personal space, and encourage others to do the same. The same rules of respect apply to autistic and non-autistic people: don't grab or move their hands/arms/body without permission, don't take away a toy or object they're busy with, and be considerate in your words and actions. Some people, including adults, feel that disabled people don't need to be treated like real people.

• msg me the website you copied this from

• @whule 0_1488569964254_upload-2bebaf96-753a-473f-88b6-b4c3eb19c8f6

welcome to wikihow

• @whule Nice job xd

• This post is deleted!

• Great post

• I thought it was a joke but.. But...
    [Removed by Staff]

• I'm reading this as my 6 yr old autistic brother is jumping and laughing downstairs.
    Also this had to be copied and pasted I REFUSE TO BELIEVE XDD

• @Galactxc obviously its copied and pasted lmfao

@whule isnt that smart!!1 <3

• @Cheph said in How to relate with an autistic person.:

@Galactxc obviously its copied and pasted lmfao

Ik ;p

Looks like your connection to NameMC Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.