Skin credit on trending!

• Okay so when a skin is trending and people click on it, below on the known profiles (where everyones names are) i think you should put the owner's name first and highlighted so that it stands out and people might click on their profile and get more views which is a reward for a skin they have which is trending. I think this is an amazing idea and gives more credit to those who made the skin :) ~Tooh

• Just like have the Owner of the skins name in like a different colour and let it be the first name on the Known Profiles so people can click it and they get more views! They get views, people get a cool skin. Win win.

• honestly
    people can claim the skin as their own even if it isn't theirs
    which tbhhhhh

people will do that for views because apparently, views are important.
    and we all know the original skinner doesn't want some little 12-year-old girl claiming their teen skin is theirs, (and please, we can't track down the skinner or smthn)

but hey
    everyone as ideas
    i guess

• Just put the owner as the first person who had the skin

• @Faithivious People already have their names on top of the skin which is trending so just highlight that name..

• @Tooh said in Skin credit on trending!:

@Faithivious People already have their names on top of the skin which is trending so just highlight that name..

sigh
    Even though they might be the first one to wear it,
    It might not be theirs.

and you can see the person who had it on first at the top, so why would you need to highlight it?

• to many skin stealers

• I agree
    Put the original owner highlighted

• would like to see this added, yespls

• @Faithivious just to make it stand out.

• @Sphry said in Skin credit on trending!:

would like to see this added, yes pls

@SquishyDog77 said in Skin credit on trending!:

I agree
    Put the original owner highlighted

alright
    lemme clear this for you, ty.

nobody looks at it this way

nameMC is already full of people editing skins and getting in onto the first page of trending,
    Put it this way:
    Someone makes a skin, gives the file to a friend to put it on.
    The 'original' creator will probably be the first one to wear it, or most people think that that way.

Their friend goes and claims it at their own but please.
    How would you seriously track down the creator?

And what if someone wears a skin and the creator doesn't know about it?

I mean, highlighting your name would be nice if more than one person was wearing it, and there are over 100 people wearing the skin, and you don't see it on the trending anymore, yeah OK. Otherwise, highlighting the CREATOR would really mess it up.

Just my thoughts, but just putting it out there that this is almost impossible. Then again, if NameMC was a skin posting WEBSITE, whatever. But it currently isn't, and I feel like editing and making it a full website would ruin the purpose of it being a 'Name checker', as it says right on NameMCs main website: "Minecraft name checker". I know choons make THIS post:
    0_1486764484829_gfdsfsdf.PNG

On one my topics I created 2 months ago.

I don't know how far it will go, but whatever. I can't stop NMC from becoming a huge pile of editing skins and stolen creations.

I know most people wouldn't give 2 damns about stolen skins because most Minecraft players don't MAKE their own skins. And people who do will most likely be pretty pissed off if there's another website on the market that steals THEIR creations. I had a lot of my skins stolen on PMC and Skindex a whole load a while ago, which has died down a bit, and that's a good thing. I want NameMC to stay the way it is now. There's no need for another replica of a stolen cluster dump of editing Neko skins and chibi girls, ok. NameMC has thousands of people using it, and I don't think it would be nice to have a bigger audience exposed to stealing skins again. 12-year-olds will take it too far.

Don't get me wrong, I AM taking this a bit too seriously.

If the website was more controlled, yeah, okay. It might be a good idea. But people look at it like it's an OKAY thing. Which it WOULD be. I don't know how much you guys REALLY care because if someone just changed the eyes or something, they could just go ahead and claim it. Which is plagiarizing and something not OK.

um, I'll leave it there
    thank you

• there is no right way to determine if someone is the actual owner or not.

I used to upload all my creations onto PMC- I had them under my NameMC account too, but everyone always got them from someone else. The skin was never under my name, it was under one of those skin hoarder accounts (where they upload a bunch of skins to their account that they dont make themselves). Besides that, as @Faithivious has already stated, there are tons of people who edit other's skins without permission, and even if they did get permission they have no way of giving credit to the original creator. If they did highlight the "creator's" name, this could result in alot of misunderstanding on who actually made the skin.

In a more shorter note, by adding this it's just giving false credit by saying whoever uploaded the skin and/or simply edited it is actually the creator- and, it may just be me personally, but could result in the original creator being a little upset.

(quick note: people who don't make skins/steal skins/edit skins (w/o getting permission) wont understand how upsetting it is to find your creation under another person's name and/or a(n) PMC/Skindex/etc account)

• I actually wanted to make a thread on this topic
    I agree with you

• Owner

Skins don't show up on player's profiles until that person is searched. Highlighting the first name won't stop people from stealing skins.

Just like anything else in Minecraft; plugins, maps, server ideas, there's no way to totally protect your creations.

If we do anything to help prove who was 'probably' the original owner it'll be to add something where you can upload skins separately from your skin history and account and show skins made by people using our own editor (if/when we add one.)

But since our site was based on name history and player profiles it still gives you more credit than any other skin site.

• @Choons but it still shows the persons name ontop like when its trending so you might as well highlight it

• @Choons Well tbh you can make your plugins only work on your server but I still think he has a good idea.

• Owner

@Pyrotechnic

@Choons Well tbh you can make your plugins only work on your server but I still think he has a good idea.

You completely missed my point.

@Tooh said in Skin credit on trending!:

@Choons but it still shows the persons name ontop like when its trending so you might as well highlight it

But how did you know that the first name means that they're the first one to use that skin?

• @Choons You could always have a custom way to upload skins to name mc and even better a way to make the skin in name mc so there is a way to verify that people made it themselves if it was made in name mc's own skin creator.

• already people are coming up with the problem of people 'hoarding' skins, or stealing skins from original creators. But that isn't the issue that is being addressed. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a skin posting website, and these people are not claiming to have made that certain skin simply by wearing it. I completely agree that the original person should be the first one listed, but I also think that the alphabetical organization/organized by characters is a much better way to do so. My main problem is that people complain about others wearing their "original" skin. I fail to see anything wrong with editing a skin for personal use, or even using a skin that others have used in the past or are using. I also don't understand why you would complain about people wearing skins they didn't make, considering this isn't a skin posting website where you take full credit and have to claim a skin as your own original creation to post. It's possible I missed the point of some people arguing over why the first person to wear the skin shouldn't be credited, but considering it's hard to trace back to the original creator anyways, I fail to care about such small and insignificant issues like that.

• Owner

@Pyrotechnic said in Skin credit on trending!:

@Choons You could always have a custom way to upload skins to name mc and even better a way to make the skin in name mc so there is a way to verify that people made it themselves if it was made in name mc's own skin creator.

That's what I just talked about and I explained why we may/may not do that.

@lyvm

Right. We've expanded our skin features because they're popular but sites dedicated to skins have an even bigger problem with people stealing and taking credit for original art.

If we give some kind of title/reward/spotlight to people who made a skin then it's more of an incentive to take skins from other places and claim you made them.

There's no perfect way to prove who originally made a skin. Even if we made a whole system where you can upload skins and put your name and date on it and everything, someone can just copy a skin and change one pixel and re-upload it and tell their friends to upvote it.

Or what happens if someone takes your skin from another website, or your profile, and uploads it first? How would you prove you were the original if it was taken from somewhere outside of NameMC? I totally understand the issue but I don't see how any of these suggestions would help at all.
    It takes time and effort to code and add new features like that and from what I'm seeing it doesn't seem like they'd help much.

Looks like your connection to NameMC Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.