Pros and cons to Mojang adding name changes

• When I purchased Minecraft in 2012, after playing the game on a friend's account. I never would of imagined that I could've had any OG username. Now with name changes it seems like any ordinary ole joe can snipe any name they want. Do you think this was a bad idea to add name changes? Or did it effect most people in a positive way?

These are my thoughts on name changes; it blows my mind knowing that when I purchased Minecraft twice I could've had my own real name as my username. Once name changes came in I could no longer get any alright usernames.

Pros of name changes:

• This website, and community
    • If you messed up on your username: it was no sweat
    • Allows you to get really neat names
    • Change them for a group of friends if you wanted to make a clan of some sort

Negatives of name changes:

• All unique usernames can be stolen without a payment of a new account
    • Username hogging; never again can I get my real name
    • Programs made exclusively for username sniping

There is probably more but those are just a few.
    What do you think? Was name changing a bad idea, or a good one?

• @Concurrence I agree with the sniping programs, this one person (Not going to give any names) is trying to sell the account "Fran" to me once the username is available because they know I want the name once it's out.

• I liked it when there werent name changes honestly
    People didn't have names like "xProPvper101YT"

• I just wish the guy with Frog would give it to me. He's so inactive

• Owner

@Concurrence

The second two of your "cons" wouldn't exist if name-changing didn't exist, that makes no sense.

ALL taken names would be impossible to get if name changing didn't exist.

Programs used for sniping make it easier for people to take usernames that you want, but if name-changing didn't exist at all it'd be 100% impossible.

• I think it was great idea! People that bought Minecraft when they were squeakers (me) are finally able to change their embarrassing usernames. I wouldn't want to buy another account to escape the shame that rains upon me. I bought my mc account in 2012 and didn't know about name change until 2015 :C

• @Choons What I am saying is that people can get access to usernames more easily without having to pay for another account. The payment of money probably discouraged people from getting those names.

• I think it's irrelevant in that specific way since name changes are 100% optional and the "OG" names thing is kind of a stupid trend, now, it's more like an improvement (if you chose a wrong username or if you got tired of your old one).

• @lolmemer4lyfe69 said in Pros and cons to Mojang adding name changes:

I liked it when there werent name changes honestly
    People didn't have names like "xProPvper101YT"

People changing their names to "xfredericbridge102x"... they're probably only doing it as a meme (taking reference to all of the old players with that kind of usernames), so, it's actually the opposite.

• @Kihta the old igns were more of "hoppy_rabbit12" or "xXCoolFrog" which were fine, but now there are igns like xFlqming_ or IrdumPvP, ect using the q replacement which is kinda stupid ngl
    Although you can judge somebody's skill in pvp by their igns which is really helpful

• @lolmemer4lyfe69 Judging other people skills based on their usernames it's a proof of you being stupid, srs you shouldn't think like that.

@lolmemer4lyfe69 said in Pros and cons to Mojang adding name changes:

@Kihta the old igns were more of "hoppy_rabbit12" or "xXCoolFrog" which were fine, but now there are igns like xFlqming_ or IrdumPvP, ect using the q replacement which is kinda stupid

Can't tell the difference between "hoppy_rabbit12" "xXCoolFrog" and "IrdumPvP" and "xFlqming_", the only reason you thing they're different or worse is because you don't like the two last, and that's called "subjectively speaking" and that doesn't make a name "stupid", you can't judge names (objectively speaking) btw

• @Kihta k chill

• NameMc Drama Alert * siren * ok i need to stop.

• @lolmemer4lyfe69 said in Pros and cons to Mojang adding name changes:

@Kihta the old igns were more of "hoppy_rabbit12" or "xXCoolFrog" which were fine, but now there are igns like xFlqming_ or IrdumPvP, ect using the q replacement which is kinda stupid ngl
    Although you can judge somebody's skill in pvp by their igns which is really helpful

ay bitch, my q is perfectly fine

• tbh it's nice if you don't like the name you chose when you started, or just wanna change it for fun, but if you want an og username, like: "Faith" for example which I really want that name.., you can't rlly get it. OG names are hard to get tbh T^T. Plus, it sucks because the user might be inactive. But then again, if you change your name, and want it back, chances are someone might snatch the name.

I think it was a great idea though! :D

• I wish that, once accounts were inavtive for at least a year (maybe 2), the username would become available. Good names are wasted on those that dont play the game anymore :/

Looks like your connection to NameMC Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.