Mutual Friends

• I think having a feature which displays all mutual friends with other users would complement the "Degrees of Separation" feature.

Alternatively, I think this would be really cool, the "Degrees of Separation" feature can be modified to show an entire tree of connections rather than just one?

0_1480484795918_tree.png

• Owner

We could easily use a program to display the data like that, we made a few friend tree graphs of all the friend connections when it first started and there was only a few thousand. Might be too big to make now without waiting like a week for it to render.

I do like the idea though, only issue is that a lot of them are going to be WAY bigger than your example. We'd have to think of a way to limit it.

• @Choons Yes, I can see them getting exponentially huge on high degrees of separation. I say a first step is to not display any connections that are longer than the displayed degrees of separation (so if a user has 3 degrees of separation from another user, no connections longer than 3 users long are shown)

Alternatively an option to download a complete friend tree graph between two users can be made! I think that would be cool.

• Owner

@144 said in Mutual Friends:

@Choons Yes, I can see them getting exponentially huge on high degrees of separation. I say a first step is to not display any connections that are longer than the displayed degrees of separation (so if a user has 3 degrees of separation from another user, no connections longer than 3 users long are shown)

Alternatively an option to download a complete friend tree graph between two users can be made! I think that would be cool.

Your graph is flawed though, that's the problem.

To have a connection from you to me, you only need to know one path, but there may be multiple. If the graph shows multiple connections, then it's not going to start and end with just you and me. What about people that are friends with the second row and fourth row of your graph, but not me? there could be an infinite number of connections and we'd have to cut off random ones to keep it below a maximum size.

• @Choons Maybe it's not such a good idea then. Perhaps the feature should be restricted users with 3 degrees of separation maximum? I think that 3 is the largest number where there will not be an unmanageable amount of connections

Looks like your connection to NameMC Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.